What’s in a username?
Similar to the wp-admin at the back of your URL – the username Admin is the default and needs to be changed to make it harder for hackers. As usernames cannot be changed we need to create another user with a better more unique username – try not to use the name of your site.
- Go to Users
- Select Add New
- Enter your details – you’ll need to enter a different email address as you can’t have two users with the same email – you can make one up and change it after if you don’t have another – just make sure you have an accurate copy of your login details!
- Make sure you Select Administrator as the User Role
- After you have created your new User – logout then login as the new User and delete the old User (the one with the username ‘Admin’) – now you can update your email with the correct one!
Ok – a couple more tips for keeping your site secure is on a regular basis to make sure of the following:
- Update WordPress to the latest version
- Update your plugins to the latest versions
- Delete unused inactive plugins
So … nothing in this day and age is guaranteed but you now have a very secure site that is much harder to hack than it was!